English is an important section for CLAT Exam. You may face many type of questions based on different topics of English. We are giving here CLAT General English idioms & Phrases.You have to find correct meaning of the given phrase. These questions will help you to understand the topic very well.
1. The authorities turned a deaf ear to the demands of the employees.
A) Immediately implemented
B) Agreed to listen to
D) None of these
2. He is a plain, simple and sincere man, he will always call a spade a spade.
A) Be outspoken
B) Help needy person
C) Stand by his friends and relatives
D) Sacrifice his life for others
3. Tell me plainly who broke the mirror, do not beat about the bush.
A) Pretend to be unaware of the matter
B) Try to impress me with your arguments
C) Put any blame on others
D) Approach the matter in a roundabout way.
4. In the last few years India has advanced by leaps and bounds in the industrial sector.
A) Very rapidly
B) Very competently
C) Very slowly
D) Very pathetically
5. He is temporarily in charge of the company and is trying to feather his nest.
A) Bring order and discipline in the company
B) Raise the image of the company
C) Act for his own future benefits.
D) Diversity the product of the company
6. To leave someone in the lurch.
A) To come to compromise with someone
B) Constant source of annoyance to someone
C) To put someone at ease
D) To desert someone in his difficulties
7. A man of straw
A) A man of no substance
B) A very active person
C) A worthy fellow
D) An unreasonable person
8. To make clean breast of
A) To gain prominence
B) To praise oneself
C) To confess without reserve
D) To destroy before it blooms
9. To cry wolf
A) To listen eagerly
B) To a give false alarm
C) To turn pale
D) To keep off starvation
10. To end in smoke
A) To make completely understand
B) To ruin oneself
C) To excite great applause
D) To overcome some one
CLAT Sample Paper English Read more
1. d 2. a 3. d 4. a 5. C
6. d 7. a 8. c 9. b 10. B